So we now have lived in Texas for eight months. When we began praying over a year and a half ago as to whether God wanted us to move to Texas or not, we had a lot of expectations on our list for when we got here. God's will was for us to move, and why, I do not know, but we followed His will. We packed up what we had stuffed, stacked, packed away, cluttered, and kept for over 17 years. It was a job. It was hard. But we made it through and with many tears in leaving we made it across the country to Texas.
Expectations we had you may ask: Well......
First of all, we had the expectation that Jon's family would be welcoming, open armed, loving, caring, excited we were here, helpful, interested in getting to know us better, and the list goes on and on. For 17 years, his family has treated me like an outcast, and why I thought it would be different when I moved here? Not sure, but I was wrong. Since moving here, it has been anything but the above. First expectation, down the drain!
Second, we were told the school systems were great. That if we moved into the area we did that the kids would be in a great school system, and we would love it...Well compared to what else is around here, maybe it was a good system, but compared to what we came from it was not! We have been so disappointed in how behind the system is, how much they concentrate on nothing but the TAKS test, and how much they do not teach on life skills that are needed like STUDYING, TAKING PRIDE IN EXCELLENCE, CHALLENGE, and so on. So this next school year I will be homeschooling all four children. Another expectation down the drain.
Third expectation, we came from a wonderful church. A large church, very in to outreach, prayer, worship, excellence, and future generations. The church that makes the movies, and the church that wins souls. We came here thinking we would find something close, even half the size, even close to worship, NOT, we have been to many, I mean many churches, and have yet to find one that has the future generations in mind. It is hard when you are a music person as we both, well all are, and you can not get plugged in musically without going backwards.
Fourth expectation, it would not be hard for Jon to get a job here. WRONG, just now, the last two weeks has Jon gotten a job that pays well, is what he enjoys, and will support us not greatly but enough to pay our bills. And we have struggled, more than any other time in our lives. We have been to where I thought I would not have enough gas to take my kids to school, to go to church, to buy groceries, to have what we needed.
So you might think, wow, how negative can she be. Well I say all this because though I am so homesick, so ready to go back to Georgia, and so unsure of why we are here, I do know that my God is real, and He brought us to this desert place, foreign land, for a reason. I do not know how long we will be here, if it were up to me we would have left four months ago, but I do know that for some plan that God has, we are here, and while I am here I am going to make the best of it. God has provided when we thought we could not get any lower, when we thought we would not make it, and each time it brought us closer to Him. He was there, we just let go of His hand, and had to get back.
So for now, though longing for my family and home, God is the comfort, the peace and the lover of my soul, and He will bring us through this dry land into a place where we see hope again.
Though our expectations have long been gone, we are so blessed even so!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment